Merry Blogmas! I thought I would kick things off with a simple, festive Q&A to help you get to know a little bit more about me and how I plan to spend the festive season! If you have any more questions let me know and I’d love to see your answers to these questions too! I did a festive Q&A last year so check that out and see if my answers have changed!
- Do you get a real tree or a fake tree? When we were kids we always had a real tree although my mum has started using a fake tree more recently. We were living with my boyfriends mum who has always had a real tree but this year she decided to get a fake one too! Thankfully my boyfriend and I moved into our own place this year and we are so excited to get a real tree!
- Do you have any Christmas traditions? For as long as I can remember we have all woken up early and gone and jumped on my parents bed to open our Christmas stockings. Last year we all went in my sisters room instead but this year I’m actually not going home for Christmas on Christmas day but the plan is to still have our usual Christmas day on Boxing day instead.
- How do you plan and organise for Christmas? I love a list and a bit of organisation! The first thing I always do is write a long list of everyone who I have to buy a present for and if I have any ideas what to get them then I’ll write that down next to their name. This year I downloaded an app called Gift List which does that and also helps you to keep track of your budget and what gifts you’ve got left to buy and wrap!
- Do you write a list of what you want or do you leave it for people to surprise you? I love a surprise but Christmas is also a good time of year to get some bits that you would like but wouldn’t necessarily buy for yourself. My brothers, their wives and I all choose one person to buy for and we spend £100 on that person instead of buying a gift for each of us because there’s 7 of us, including partners! It’s a great way to get something you want so I do usually make a request for that gift and I usually ask my mum for one thing. Everything else though, I like to leave it to a surprise!
- What do you eat on Christmas day if you don’t eat turkey? We usually change it each year which is the nice thing about not just having turkey every year! One year we had butternut squash with goats cheese stars and one year we had festive pastry parcels stuffed with brie, cranberry sauces and all the festive fun! This year we still haven’t decided what to have but there’s so many things to choose from!
- What’s your favourite Christmas movie? I love Christmas movies, I actually really love those rubbish American ones where you know exactly what’s going to happen but they’re so full of Christmas, cookies and cheer that you watch them anyway! I literally have the Christmas24 channel on whilst I’m writing! My favourite movie of all time though, would have to be Miracle on 34th street!
- Do you still have an advent calendar? Of course! My mum actually text me this year and asked if I still wanted a calendar! I think an advent calendar is part of Christmas! My boyfriend usually buys us each a chocolate one from the shops. I always make him one, there’s usually a chocolate and something else in each day, sometimes it’s a memory, a clue where to find tomorrows treat or something festive for us to do together! My mum always fills a fabric calendar which I have had for my whole life and I love opening the pockets each day!
- Whats your typical Christmas day? For the past few years since I’ve been with my boyfriend, our usual Christmas day involves waking up at 5am at my mums house. We all open our stockings before we go downstairs for mimosas and my mum hands out all of our presents – there’s 5 children, plus our partners, plus my mum and recently her partner and his children too, so theres a lot to get through! Once she’s handed them all out we all get to work opening our pile of gifts. It’s so much fun and the house is always a mess by the time we are done! Once we’ve opened our presents we usually have some breakfast, get dressed and then we all just relax, chat and play some board games. My boyfriend and I usually leave just before lunch to drive back to Essex. When we get back to his mums house we start it all again and we open our presents at her house before his grandparents arrive. We all have a big Christmas dinner together and then we watch some Christmas movies, eat treats and play games. It’s so much fun and it’s my favourite way to spend Christmas. This year, my boyfriend and I are so excited to wake up in our own house on Christmas morning so we are actually not going to Cambridge this year. Instead we are going to spend Christmas day in Essex and then go to Cambridge on Boxing day for a second Christmas day!
- If you could spend Christmas anywhere, where would you spend it? This is such a tricky question but I think I would actually love to spend it in Copenhagen. My boyfriend and I love it there and everything about the culture, it would be so nice to spend it just the two of us, cuddled up watching Christmas films and eating food.
It’s not what’s under the tree that matters, it’s who’s gathered around it.